The second quarterfinal match of the 2022 FIFA World Cup featured Argentina defeating the Netherlands on penalties at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium. The event was broadcast on FOX on Friday.
With goals from Nahuel Molina and Lionel Messi to make it 2-0 in the second half, Argentina appeared to be in complete control of the game. In order to make it 2-1, Wout Weghorst scored on a header in the 83rd minute. He then scored again in the 11th minute of extra time.
Through extra time, neither team managed to score, setting up penalty kicks. Emiliano Martnez, the goalie for Argentina, stopped the first two shots, giving his team the advantage before prevailing 4-3 on penalties.
Argentina will now move on to the semifinals, which start on Tuesday, where they will meet Croatia.
In the first quarterfinal clash on Friday, Croatia shocked tournament favourite Brazil, prevailing on penalties and securing its place in the semifinal stage.
The Highlight moments are below.
8′: Risky business!
Dutch goalie Andries Noppert nearly gave Argentina a golden opportunity when he risked a pass by charging attacker Julián Álvarez.
23′: Messi just a bit too high
Lionel Messi had a promising opportunity right outside the box, but his strike had too much touch on it as the ball sailed over the net to keep the match scoreless.
35′: Messi’s magic sets up Argentina goal
It wasn’t a shot from Messi that helped put Argentina in front. Rather, it was a no-look pass on a through ball to Nahuel Molina that put Argentina up 1-0 late in the first half.
45′: It’s soccer, not basketball!
Argentina’s Cristian Romero was issued a yellow card when he swatted the ball away while trying to stop a Netherlands pass.
55′: Messi get away with one?
Messi clearly hit the ball with his hand on this play, but no yellow card was given.
63′: Almost, Messi
The Argentinian star was so close to making it 2-0 on the free kick outside the box.
71′: Penalty on the Netherlands
Denzel Dumfries committed a foul in the penalty box, giving Argentina a chance to go up 2-0.
73′: Messi makes the most of it
Messi converted on the penalty kick to put Argentina up 2-0, putting it in a great spot to advance to the semifinals.
Memphis Depay and Lisandro Martínez each received yellow cards after things got a little too physical.
83′: Stayin’ alive
Wout Weghorst connected on the header for the Dutch to make it 2-1 to some time remaining.
88′: It’s getting heated!
Argentina’s Leandro Paredes committed a foul in front of the Dutch bench, earning him a yellow card. But he didn’t stop there. He kicked the ball right at the Dutch bench, causing its players to get up and charge at him.
90′ + 11′: A Dutch delight sends it to extra time!
Weghorst scored his second goal of the match off a set to save the Netherlands and send the match to extra time.
- Emiliano Martínez stopped van Dijk’s penalty kick to put the Netherlands in a hole in the opening round of penalty kicks.
- Messi converted on his penalty kick at the end of Round 1 to put Argentina up, 1-0.
- Martínez made another save, this time stopping Steven Berghuis to keep the Dutch off the board through the first two rounds of penalty kicks.
- Paredes put Argentina up 2-0 through two rounds with a tight goal along the post
- Teun Koopmeiners finally got the Dutch on the board in PKs in Round 3
- Gonzalo Montiel kept his team on track, putting Argentina up 3-1 through the first three rounds
- Weghorst kept the Dutch alive at the beginning of Round 4 by scoring
- Fernández went wide left at the end of Round 4, keeping the Netherlands alive
- Luuk de Jong scored for the Dutch to make it 3-3 at the beginning of Round 5
- Lautaro Martínez finished off the Dutch with a powerful shot to the left to end it.